Returning to class, whether it’s grade school, college, or university, is always part-thrilling-part-daunting. If choosing a new laptop is among your 2016 concerns, our London Drugs Experts can help.
First, consider what you need. Mainly web surfing and word processing? Keep it light and low-priced with good battery life. Running deep data analysis or, you know, video games? Step up in screen size and processing power.
That means there are two broad categories of back-to-school laptops. Let’s call them essential and advanced. Below are four recommendations for each category spread between the most popular laptop brands.
No matter what you do in 2016, London Drugs has a laptop for you. Here are some of the year’s best options.
Only one cat poses. My other cat disdains
If you’re like me, your household is divided when it comes to computer usage. I use my computer for page layout, photo editing and light video production, which is what I do for a living. I use a MacBook Pro, and I love it like it was my third cat.
An actual kid winning $10k at the ASUS ROG Summer 2013 StarCraft II Tournament. Image from rog.asus.com
When my gaming daughter was shopping for a computer, she stopped me at “You should buy a Ma…” Apparently, my wonderful MacBook is not ideal (or in some cases, not capable) of running the games she plays. I can’t scoff at this, because kids these days are wining prizes in the neighbourhood of $10,000 at gaming tournaments, while I’m still working by the hour.
The Right Choice
Stickers on laptop = love
Taylor did her homework and bought an ASUS (pronounced “ay-soos”) laptop. How do I know it was a right choice for her? One, I never hear her exaggerated sighs about lag time or delays; two, she lovingly tattooed her personality all over it with stickers.
With my usual cup of hot morning coffee I relaxed on the couch with Olympics on TV. Curiosity got the better of me and I grabbed my laptop to learn more about some of the athletes. Instead of the usual password screen that I’m used to being greeted with my Mac wasn’t waking up. Did it think I needed more coffee? I took a sip and waited. After a minute of it being frozen I thought it had glitched and powered it down. I turned it back on and it took a very long time for it to boot. After an eon of staring at the grey Apple logo the logon screen came up for a second but then it froze up, stopped responding to clicks and to my horror suddenly turned itself off. My heart started palpitating and sweat beads formed on my forehead. I pushed the power button to see what would happen and after the start-up sound I heard an ominous sound that I’m familiar with but still dread: “Wiiiiiiirrrrrrr click click click wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirrrrr click click click click click”
Buy a Windows 7 PC now get an upgrade to Windows 8 when it comes out for $14.99
Microsoft is set to release a major upgrade of Windows very soon. Windows 8 has already been tested by millions of users worldwide in a preview version. This version promises to be the most visually stunning and easiest to use edition of Windows yet.
If you’re looking at buying a new computer you don’t have to wait until the lastest version of Windows comes out. You can get a Windows 7 computer right now, any brand, and get a copy of Windows 8 Professional for $14.99 when it’s released. No matter which version of Windows 7 your computer ships with you will get Windows 8 Professional through this offer.
- Buy a Windows 7 PC between June 2, 2012 and January 31, 2013
- Register for the offer at windowsupgradeoffer.com before February 28, 2013
- Microsoft will send you an email with your promotion code and purchase instructions when Windows 8 Pro is available.
- Download and install Windows 8 Pro on a compatible Windows based PC with Windows Upgrade Assistant.
If you have any questions please contact your nearest @LDComputers department.
Exclusive to London Drugs
You may have heard of us before. We are Certified Data and we are London Drugs.
Since 1984 London Drugs have been assembling computers right here in Canada. If there’s a problem we’ll fix it at any London Drugs store; not at some anonymous and distant repair depot.
Here’s a video showcasing our desktops:
If you look at our specifications and features, you’ll find that we make stuff with some pretty amazing hardware inside, but did you know:
- Every single unit we make is tested with a full Windows operating system loaded. Our technicians burn in each and every unit to make sure that each component is working to spec and talking to the rest of the machine as expected.
- Our builds are all approved in the Windows Hardware Quality Lab (WHQL) program. WHQL is a process that tests all of the components inside a computer to make sure they are talking to each other and to Windows. This certification ensures our chosen configuration is fully compatible with Windows and not just a patchwork of components.
- Before we sell any system we get it tested and approved by the Canadian Standards Association (CSA). In doing this, our customers can be reassured that the computer they are buying meets or exceeds the strict Canadian electrical safety standards, which are some of the toughest in the world.
- We take great care of even the smallest details. For instance: we are careful to wrap and tie all of the cables inside to ensure airflow is not obstructed which allows for more efficient cooling and greater longevity for all the components of the system.
- We do not install anything that is not necessary on our computers. We install all the drivers for the machine to function. We install the Microsoft Office 2010 kit on our systems as a convenience so you can quickly install it with your product key or try it out for free and see which edition is right for you.
- Recovery media is included: no need to make recovery discs or take up space with a recovery partition. In case you need it, you have it.
- We offer built-to-order systems so you can pick which configuration is perfect for you and we still do all of the testing and certifications. Don’t just dream about the perfect computer for yourself. Let us know what it is and see if we can build it for you: just for you.
More information available online
You can talk with us on Twitter
But I suggest you come into one of our stores and check them out in person, let us show you what we have to offer. http://ow.ly/f1SNW