We have a choice that’s more familiar to you than the current Windows 8 computers, Windows 7. Windows 8 has many new features like apps and touch screen optimization, but some us don’t need or want to change. We are comfortable with the easy to use familiarity we have honed for years.
London Drugs has heard you and have a solution.
Windows XP had a great run. It’s time to break up with it. You’re familiar with the way everything was laid out in Windows XP. Once you learned where everything was you may have thought there was never a reason to change. Now that Microsoft no longer updates Windows XP you may be looking for a new tower rather than installing a new operating system on your old hardware.
London Drugs has built our own Certified Data system for those seeking the familiarity of XP that need a new tower and don’t want to go to Windows 8 yet.
· AMD A6 6400K 3.9Ghz Dual-Core (4.1Ghz Max Turbo)
· 8GB DDR3 (Max. 64GB)
· WD1TB Blue Hard Drive
· Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64–bit
We offer local service and support so if any questions come up we are only a phone call away. You can walk into our stores and ask any of our local experts in person, real face time. Certified Data is London Drugs own brand so you know you’ll always get a superior experience without dealing with toll free numbers.
New cyber attacks are launched every nano second. Sometimes there’s literally millions of detected infections roaming freely across the web. Where do these attacks come from? How many are active right now? How many are active in Canada?
Kaspersky has a nifty map showing all of the infections paths laid out on an interactive map. This interactive globe shows you where infections are being detected in real time.
If you’ve ever seen that error message you know how upsetting it can be especially when there’s images already on the card. Loosing your photos can be avoided if you use some good routines.
- Always format a new memory card in your camera. Even though the cards come pre-formatted they might not be exactly how your camera wants them.
- Don’t let your camera batteries die completley while your taking photos. If the camera is trying to put an image on the card and the battery dies it might not finish putting the file on the card and corrupt the whole card.
- Always format a card on the camera after transferring the images to your computer. Don’t just delete them or use your computer to format the card.
- Use good quality cards. Your memories are an irreplaceable possession don’t trust them to no name brands. Use high quality cards. Come see one of our specialists to get a reliable card that meets your needs and budget.
Windows XP reaches the end of official support from Microsoft on April 8, 2014. It had a great run but it’s time to put XP out to pasture. Unless your a corporation that pays for extended support you should be considering an upgrade or replacement for your XP computer as soon as you can.
If your still holding onto XP there are some steps you can take to make sure you stay protected while you transition to a more modern operating system.
- Use a strong security program to better protect yourself from impending attacks on XP machines
- Backup your data regularly and test your backups by restoring them to a different computer
- Do all available Windows XP updates from Microsoft and ensure your drivers are up to date for your hardware
As always we have A+ qualified technicians available at every London Drugs Computer Department to assist you. Stop in and get personal expert advice.
Sometimes you want to get rid of an old hard drive you aren’t using. Maybe your donating or selling a computer you don’t use. It’s a good idea to erase and format it in a way that makes sure no one can recover your personal information.
Here’s one more unique way to destroy a drive:
Seriously though — There’s several ways of wiping the different kinds of hard drives and other memory devices. Here’s a great list from Gizmodo to help you wipe your own drives at home.
You’ve probably seen posts on Facebook from a friend saying they are going through all the friends they’ve accumulated on Facebook. I know some of my friends call it a spring cleaning. Personally I don’t do that because I only add friends on Facebook that I also know well in real life.
But Facebook keeps changing things and adding features, sometimes they’re hard to keep up with. There’s some newer tools that can help make sure your only updating the way you want to and to make it easier to keep track of the people you care about the most.